Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day 24........Craving anything?


Food cravings, what the heck? I used to think that craving a particular food, was my body's way of telling me I needed some kind of nutrient. I thought this, because I would get a craving for steak or a tomato sandwich. Sometimes, it would be for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I would get cravings for milk and even, rarely, chocolate milk. They did not happen often for me, even when I was pregnant, so I usually gave in to them if I could. Now I find out that that belief is just not true.

Food cravings come from the stomach and the mind. The ones from the stomach are initiated when the stomach is empty and pretty much anything will do. The mind, however, is much more complicated. They know many of the chemicals involved, once the craving kicks in, and even some that cause it. But, I could not really find a good answer for that one trigger, when, from out of nowhere, you just have to have “it” and the sooner the better.

One interesting fact I read, is that there is an appetite suppressing chemical, actually made in the fat cells called leptin. You would think, since people with more energy stores upon their frames, have more leptin, they would have less cravings. The opposite is true. This makes no sense to me. Also, they found that women who tried to quit thinking about what they were craving, ate more of it, in their study, it was chocolate. So, I guess that means it's okay to fall asleep at night, thinking of a big fat juicy hamburger, stuffed with bacon and cheese, grilled out, with cheese and coleslaw on top...a soft toasted bun and~~~~~~~~~~~Wait a minute, I digress.

Women have cravings more than men, but men do have them too. That makes sense for lots of reasons. (Not because we are weak, ladies!) Also, of interest, was the fact that anxiety or boredom, in relation to a diet, caused more food cravings. The way to get around this one is easy. Mix it up!! Have lots of different flavors. After awhile, you will begin to even know what might mix well together, so, fun city, you can experiment a bit. Not too much....don't want to waste anything. Want an example?
Sure you do!!

Ok, I decided I wanted some broccoli in my juice repertoire. I found a recipe and got what I needed. I made it a couple of nights ago. It was So not what I had in mind, but I planned on having it twice this week. Tonight, I improvised:

Broccoli Bunch, about maybe 2 cups, if you cut it all up, I didn't, except to fit in the juicer (on high)
Carrots, 2 large
Italian parsley, nice handful
Spring onion, 1
Cabbage, half a small head, (also on high speed)
Tomato, 1 good sized
¼ of that crazy Daikon radish
Sprinkle of Cajun Seasoning and a bit of fresh ground black pepper

This wasn't the best, but it was certainly much better. Not having to peel anything was nice too. I do get tired of peeling stuff.

To read more in depth, and see all the nutsy chemicals, this is a great source I found:
http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/human-nature/behavior/food-craving4.htm

Now, juice differently, but definitely juice on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment